Today is the 4th of July - Independence Day here in America. I am sitting by the pool, really wishing to dive in and swim. I'm being held back by only one thing - the promise I made to my fans that I would contribute a blog post every day this week to thank them for their patience in waiting for my next book to come out.
Wah, wah, I can't go in the pool. How spoiled am I? Now would be great time to think about how life would have been different 10, 50, 100 or even 200 years ago.
And then count my blessings. Here goes:
1. Indoor Plumbing - Seriously, I am thankful for this every time the sewage plant fragrances tickle my nose. Just a no-brainer on every "I'm thankful" list.
2. Air Condition - I grew up in a house built so long ago, they had to add on a kitchen to it. My bedroom was on the 3rd floor of that house, and there were no electric outlets up there. So summer time was suffered with not even a fan to keep down the sweat at night. I'm making up for it now in the comfort of the central air in my house.
3. Chlorinated Water - I know many people may actually be offended by this and prefer the more natural water found in oceans, lakes, and ponds. But so do the lesser creatures. And their waste. If you see #1 above, you will note that I am not a fan of waste. Of any kind. Chlorine gives me the hope (blind as it may be) that I am not floating in someone else's... well, let's move on.
4. Music - The kids are home from school. All kids. I think they are all here at the pool today. More than one kid is crying (also thankful that the criers are not mine). But I am sitting by the sound system speaker. :) (Note: Yes, I know music has been around forever. But I am referring to the music loud enough and enjoyable enough to drown out the drone of a hundred kids.)
5. Computers and Wi-Fi - Being at the pool affords me the freedom of having my kids entertained and happy, but until recently, that would mean sitting around thinking about the work I have to do at home. Now, I do have myself trained to look up after every sentence I write to find my kids, and they must always swim with a buddy, so I don't feel like the worst mom of the year. But kids at peace always equals more work done! So getting it done at the pool is ideal.
6. Kindles - Since books have been around for quite some time, I had to be specific here to get something to fit on the list. Not only is this wonderful for me to read something, but for the many people who can now get my book more affordably! (Oh my, was that a shameless plug for my book, Amity of the Angelmen, available on this site or through Amazon? I guess it was. Whoops.)
7. Iced Coffee - When did they invent this stuff? Or realize that it was good on ice, anyway. I don't remember seeing it around when I was a kid. May I never sit by the pool without one nearby.
8. Weather.com - Planning the week is so much easier when you know the best days to stay inside and when to go out. Or how long you have to be outside before a chance of threatening weather.
9. Water Parks - Lazy Rivers and happy, occupied children. What more could you ask for?
10. Freezers - No freezer in the house, no ice cream in the house. Duh. Isn't ice cream the best thing in summer?
I had to edit out a few other blessings for the list, because I can only have 10- no more, no less. However, there is infinite room on my comment section for you to add your favorite summer blessing!
Happy summer to you all.
Because I love even numbers and lists!